Tue, 05 Jul|
Fundamentals: Power in Authenticity
Ready to launch into the wonderful world of improv? Join us for this two-month course designed to get you out of your head and up on stage, all whilst having fun and meeting amazing people!
WHEN AND WHERE
05 Jul 2022, 6:00 pm – 23 Aug 2022, 9:00 pm
Wellington, 12 King Street, Mount Cook, Wellington 6021, New Zealand
EARLYBIRD: USE code 'WINTERIMPROV' at checkout for $40 discount (expires, midnight Sunday June 26th)
What is improv at Improv Connection all about?
At Improv Connection, we make our audiences buckle over with laughter (and sometimes tears) by being honest and genuine in our scenework. Our style of comedy is situational, playing on the absurdities we encounter in our everyday lives.
What will I learn in this class?
We'll teach you to use raw emotion and your own life experiences to drive your scenes, building easy, fun, relatable, grounded, and surprising scenes together. With us, you can develop your confidence both on stage and off, and meet amazing people doing the same. You'll join a tight knit community of improvisers right here in Pōneke (Wellington) and beyond.
Is this class for people new to improv or seasoned pros?
Both! Fundamentals 1: Power in Authenticity is our intro class, designed to give you all the tools you need to perform and grow into the best theatrical improviser you can be. If you're just starting out, this is a great introduction to an improv style that shows you just how awesome you already are. If you're a seasoned pro, this class is designed to familiarise you with emotionally-grounded improv techniques that you can apply with any style of improv.
Will I have to perform in front people?
Improvising and performing scenes can be scary at first, so we do our best to create a safe and fun class environment so you can learn to get comfortable performing with your classmates. We also put on a class show every term that you can invite your friends, family and whānau to!
Is there a next step after this course?
Yes! We offer Art of the Scene course which continues your training in our grounded improv technique, focusing on different scenework techniques to further develop your skills as an improviser. Fundamentals focuses solely on letting loose, and connection.
What's the class details?
- Teacher: Jonathan Mandeno, assisted by Jeremy Palmer and Ben Zolno (founder of Improv Connection)
- Dates: Tuesdays, 5 July - 23th August 2022, 6 PM – 9 PM, plus a show at PowWow Room (date TBD)!
- Class Format: 3-hour classes, once a week for 2 months. We focus on lessons in the class. For more practice with the whole community, see our Bonus Package below.
- Show: 1 at The Pow Wow Room, Courtenay Place
- Focused Attention: We split the group up often, with a teacher/advisor each time, so you get double the practice you get with one teacher!
- Safe Learning: We create a supportive atmosphere with our feedback, to make sure you're kind to yourself as you improve. Consent is key to our play too, so we walk you through ways to know your partners' boundaries, so you can really let loose!
- Social Connection: Membership to Facebook group for connecting with other improv students and to further your learning. In addition to celebrating after each of our shows, we share, cross-promote, and go to other shows together.
- Discounted Tickets: As an Improv Connection student, you're eligible for $5 tickets to all Improv Connection shows at The Pow Wow Room including the Funny 'Cause It's True Monday Night shows!
- Documentation: Detailed notes are emailed to you after most classes. Photos of every show, for you to share with your friends, family and whānau.
- Clear Pathway: After taking our Fundamentals 1 class, you can progress on to our Art Of The Scene class. Keep developing your skills with specialist workshops like our Character Class or weekend Improv retreats.
- Location: Classes are held at 12 King Street, Mt Cook.
- Optional: One-on-Ones: Extra focus and rehearsal, opportunity to supercharge your progress, and Jams for extra progress and community connection (see below)
What is your Payment & Refund Policy?
- To maximise participation, we offer work exchanges or scholarships to those who can not afford to pay the full amount. If you need a scholarship, please contact us about a scholarship by using the contact form, and we'll try to work something out.
- We reserve the right to choose the students who are a good fit for our program. If we do accept you into the class, your payment will secure your spot, and you're set to go!
- If we are unable to accommodate you in the class as an applicant, your fee will be refunded within 48 hours.
- If you join us in the class, but leave the class after your first class session, your payment is refundable, minus an administration fee of $100.
- During a COVID-19 event that restricts our ability to meet in person, we meet online.
- No refunds are offered after the second class session begins.
- All class fees are GST inclusive.
- Ticket type
This class includes 8 three-hour weekly group sessions, 1 class show and discounted entry to all Improv Connection shows at The Pow Wow Room. Please note: Filling in the form and submitting payment is part of the application process. We will immediately refund your payment if we are not able to provide a spot in the class.Price$339.00