Tue, 27 Jun|
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Foundations of Improv: Power of Authenticity
Want to give improv a go? Or rocket your emotional expression skills? Join us for this weekly course designed to get you out of your head, have fun, discover amazing connections, and meet amazing people!
WHEN AND WHERE
27 Jun 2023, 6:00 pm – 15 Aug 2023, 9:00 pm
St Paul's Lutheran Church, 12 King Street, Mount Cook, Wellington 6021, New Zealand
More questions? Text or email us and we'll connect.
What is improv at Improv Connection all about?
At Improv Connection, we make our audiences buckle over with laughter (and sometimes tears) by being honest and genuine in our scene work. Our style of comedy is situational, playing on the absurdities we encounter in our everyday lives.
What will I learn in this course?
We'll teach you to use raw emotion and your own life experiences to drive your scenes, building easy, fun, relatable, grounded, and surprising scenes together. With us, you can develop your confidence both on stage and off, and meet amazing people doing the same. You'll join a tight-knit community of improvisers right here in Pōneke (Wellington) and beyond.
Is this class for people new to improv or seasoned pros?
Both! Foundations of Improv: Power of Authenticity is a class where we work on the fundamentals of our approach to improv – emotion-based, equitable, theatrical-style improv – designed to give you all the tools you need to perform and grow into the best theatrical improviser you can be.
If you're just starting out in improv or with Improv Connection, this is a great introduction to an improv style that shows you just how awesome you already are. Or, if you've taken it before and want to expand your emotions even more, it's great to sign up for an additional run.
Will I have to perform in front people?
Up to you! Improvising and performing scenes can be scary at first, so we do our best to create a safe and fun class environment so you can learn to get comfortable performing with your classmates. We also put on a class show every term that you can invite your friends, family and whānau to!
Our "shows" are really more of a "showing" – simply showing the kind of fun exercises and scenes you do in class to other curious supportive people, so it's pretty low stress.
Do you offer a taster class/trial?
Yes, if you want a taster! We have a koha Taster Class on 20th June from 6.30pm-8.30pm. This is not a required to take the course.
What are the class details?
- Teacher: Jonathan Mandeno, assisted by Jeremy Palmer and Ben Zolno (founder of Improv Connection)
- Dates: Tuesdays, 27th June to the 15th August, 6 PM – 9 PM, plus a midterm and graduation showcase (dates TBC)
- Class Format: 3-hour classes, once a week for 2 months. We focus on lessons in the class. For more practice with the whole community, see our Bonus Package below.
- Show: 2 – 1 in the middle and 1 at the end of the term
- Focused Attention: We split the group up often, with a teacher/advisor each time, so you get double the practice you get with one teacher!
- Safe Learning: We create a supportive atmosphere with our feedback, to make sure you're kind to yourself as you improve. Consent is key to our play too, so we walk you through ways to know your partners' boundaries, so you can really let loose!
- Social Connection: Membership to Facebook group for connecting with other improv students and to further your learning. In addition to celebrating after each of our shows, we share, cross-promote, and go to other shows together.
- Discounted Tickets: As an Improv Connection student, you're eligible for $5 tickets to all Improv Connection show at The Pow Wow Room.
- Documentation: Detailed notes are emailed to you after most classes.
- Location: Classes are held at 12 King Street, Mt Cook.
- Monday Night Workouts: The opportunity to play and connect with improvisers of all different levels and experience in a fun and casual jam format. Grab a term pass or drop in casually!
- One-on-One: Extra focus and rehearsal, opportunity to supercharge your progress.
What is your Payment & Refund Policy?
- To maximise participation, we offer work exchanges or scholarships to those who can not afford to pay the full amount. If you need a scholarship, please contact us about a scholarship by using the contact form, and we'll try to work something out.
- If we do accept you into the class, your payment will secure your spot, and you're set to go!
- If we are unable to accommodate you in the class as an applicant, your fee will be refunded within 48 hours.
- If you join us in the class, but leave the class after your first class session, your payment is refundable, minus an administration fee of $100.
- During a COVID-19 event that restricts our ability to meet in person, we meet online.
- No refunds are offered after the second class session begins.
- All class fees are GST inclusive.
- Receipts for GST refunds, tax deduction (for professional development, etc) or other purposes are available upon request.
Foundations of Improv
This ticket includes all 8 classes and the graduation show - over 24 hours of learning, coaching, and fun!From $339.00 to $399.00
- $359.00+$8.98 service fee
- $339.00+$8.48 service fee
- $399.00+$9.98 service fee